San Diego '99
InfoZip ZIP & UNZIP for OpenVMS Secrets Revealed
- Topic Area:
- Track: Open VMS
- Topic: Hints and Kinks
- Type: Breakout Session
08:30 AM Duration:
- David J. Dachtera
- Sole Proprietor, DJE Systems
- This session will present a practical explanation of how to use the
Zip and Unzip programs from InfoZip on OpenVMS. An explanation of RMS attributes and how to preserve them is included along with a brief explanation of data compression and other archive methods and formats. Also included will be explanations of how to prepare archives for targets other than OpenVMS systems.
Session notes, examples and the Zip and Unzip software will be
provided on VMS-compatible compact disc (tentative).
- Understand some of the differences between OpenVMS and some of the
other platforms supported by the Zip and Unzip programs from InfoZip
- Be able to use Zip to create compressed archives of OpenVMS files
with RMS attributes preserved, and to create compressed archives for
use on non-VMS systems
- Be able to use Unzip to restore files from compressed archives
produced on OpenVMS and other platforms.
- Prerequisites for attendees:
- Attendees should have a basic knowledge of OpenVMS and RMS files,
ODS-2 format disks, and DCL. Knowledge of or exposure to other
operating systems including DOS, Windows and UN*X would be helpful.
- Required Skill Level:
For those entering a profession/changing technology base
|Return To Top|