San Diego '99
System & Performance Management with DECamds
- Topic Area:
- Track: Open VMS
- Topic: Performance & Tuning
- Type: Breakout Session
03:00 PM Duration:
- Bart Lederman
- Software Engineer, Compaq Computer Corporation
- DECamds is a powerful tool for performance troubleshooting, capacity planning and load balancing. It can also be used to correct a number of problems while a system or cluster is running. It can monitor groups of systems (independent systems, clusters or both) and it can be set to scan systems and issue warnings when thresholds have been exceeded or resources are about to be exhausted.
Although it has been supplied with OpenVMS for many years, and no
longer requires any special license, it apparently is not well known
in the user community.
This session will show that DECamds is a very useful tool that is
easy to learn, yet which can simplify the process of managing
systems, investigating performance and correcting some problems on
running systems such as 'hung' processes and readjusting cluster
This session will also cover Availability Manager, the follow-on
product to DECamds. It monitors VMS nodes like DECamds, but the user interface runs on NT as well as VMS. Over time, all the functionality of the DECamds product will be incorporated into the Availability Manager, and will eventually replace the DECamds product.
- Show how DECamds can be used to investigate system performance and
locate problem areas
- Show how DECamds can be used to monitor several systems or clusters, and issue warnings about potential problems; and how it can be customized to the users' site.
- Show how DEcamds can be used to correct some problems while the
system or clusters is running.
- Prerequisites for attendees:
- A basic understanding of OpenVMS system management, quotas, accounts, privileges, etc.
- Required Skill Level:
For those entering a profession/changing technology base
|Return To Top|