San Diego '99
Server Consolidation - A Case Study (OpenVMS)
- Topic Area:
- Track: Enterprise Solutions
- Topic: Servers
- Type: Breakout Session
03:00 PM Duration:
- Kerry Main
- Senior Consultant, Compaq Computer Corporation
- For the particular customer in this case study, 41 separate systems were consolidated into 5 regional clusters of 3 nodes each. A combination of VAXes and Alphas were consolidated into all Alpha clusters. The 41 separate systems were all mission critical to this customer. This consolidation helped the customer by not having to do 41 separate upgrades anymore. They could now do just 5. This helped the customer to reach their Y2K readiness in a timely fashion. The presenter will go into detail as to how the consolidation was done and what benfits the customer gained from this effort.
- Understand things to consider when planning a Server Consolidation effort. Presenter will discuss some tips and tricks.
- Take some of the valuable lessons from the presenter's experience and apply these lessons to their own IT environment.
- Understand the application, system, network and political issues involved with a Server Consolidation effort.
- Prerequisites for attendees:
- Required Skill Level:
For experienced professionals in application development & system management; those working on large & complex systems
|Return To Top|