San Diego '99
Introduction to DCL Programming
- Topic Area:
- Track: Open VMS
- Topic: System Management
- Type: Breakout Session
03:30 PM Duration:
- David J. Dachtera
- Sole Proprietor, DJE Systems
- This session will provide an introduction to using DCL as a
programming language to automate routine system management tasks. The session will include an introduction to DCL lexical functions which allow procedures to re-submit themselves, to determine the current day of the week and take appropriate actions based on the current day and also to process lists of parameter elements.
A brief overview of DCL Basics will be presented as a refresher and to lay a foundation for this session and the Intermediate session.
Session notes and examples will be provided on VMS-compatible compact disc (tentative).
- Produce DCL procedures for use in batch to perform routine system
system management tasks such as backups and printing reports.
- Produce DCL procedures for use in batch which can resubmit themselves.
- Produce DCL procedures for use in batch which can change their
behavior based on criteria such as the time of day, day of the week,
month or year, etc.
- Prerequisites for attendees:
- Attendees should be system managers with at least a basic
understanding of how to use OpenVMS text editors to create and
maintain command procedures, and of DCL commands, parameters,
qualifiers and qualifier values.
- Required Skill Level:
For those entering a profession/changing technology base
|Return To Top|