San Diego '99
The Internals of Open File Defragmentation
- Topic Area:
- Track: Open VMS
- Topic: Internals
- Type: Breakout Session
11:30 AM Duration:
- Jim Hibbits
- Raxco Software, Inc.
- An inherent problem with all disk defragmenters has been their
inability to work on "open" files: files installed as known images,
files in use by users, files under control of queue managers, etc.
Recently, the software technology has been developed to enable the
safe defragmentation of open files in OpenVMS cluster environments. This presentation will discuss some of the features of the technology and the benefits to system managers of having such technology available.
- Identify those files which cannot be defragmented using conventional means.
- Explain impediments to the defragmentation of open files.
- Explain how I/Os can be intercepted at the disk driver, and cloned for other purposes.
- Prerequisites for attendees:
- General knowledge of ODS-II and the issues surrounding fragmented files, file allocation, and file system performance.
- Required Skill Level:
For experienced professionals in application development & system management; those working on large & complex systems
|Return To Top|