San Diego '99
Freeware: You Get What You Don't Pay For - Case Study
- Topic Area:
- Track: UNIX
- Topic: Languages & Tools
- Type: Breakout Session
01:30 PM Duration:
- Steve Larsen
- Staff Software Engineer/Intranet Manager, American Microsystems, Inc. (AMI)
- A case study of freeware use by a software team at US semiconductor manufacturer American Microsystems, Inc. (AMI). The team has found great success and cost savings by employing once-taboo freeware solutions, including Linux, GNU tools, Perl, Apache and others. Many tools are introduced, with examples of their use, and resources are provided for obtaining more information.
- Understand and defend freeware use as a viable option for software
development, for applications from utilities to critical systems.
- Discuss cost savings that can be realized by freeware use.
- Find additional information about many freeware solutions.
- Prerequisites for attendees:
- Required Skill Level:
Assumes general knowledge of topic, familiarity w/basic terms & procedures
|Return To Top|