San Diego '99
Disk Cloning Technology for Computer Support Professionals
- Topic Area:
- Track: Enterprise Solutions
- Topic: Languages & Tools
- Type: Interactive Workshop
10:00 AM Duration:
2 Hrs. 30 Min.
- Laurie Knepper & Rebecca Fiedler
- Horizons Tech. & SW Junior High School
- Computer support personnel faced with the deployment of numerous desktop systems often wish they had a magic wand to automatically take those systems to the desired site-specific configuration. Some are now stretching their support manpower, time and budget by using cloning software to install standard configurations on multiple systems with minimal user/administrator intervention. Other applications for cloning programs include building custom restore CDs that return a system to its original configuration in minutes when a disk fails, and quickly restoring returned "check-out" laptops to a fresh installation for the next user.
This session will take a look at the capabilities and features of some of the popular cloning software programs, and will outline three case studies of sites using this technology for system deployment and maintenance - a junior high school computer lab, an engineering center laptop pool and the DECUS Interactive Session DataCenter. The speakers will demonstrate the creation of an image dump file and attendees will have the opportunity to reconfigure the DataCenter's desktop systems by using cloning software to restore previously created image files.
- Prerequisites for attendees:
- Computer Support personnel with the responsibility for deploying multiple new computer systems, upgrading the software on existing systems, or restoring failed computers back to their original configurations.
- Required Skill Level:
Assumes general knowledge of topic, familiarity w/basic terms & procedures
|Return To Top|