San Diego '99
Corporate Mergers & Exchange/ALL-IN-1 Mail systems
- Topic Area:
- Track: Enterprise Solutions
- Topic: Messaging
- Type: Breakout Session
11:30 AM Duration:
- Mark Clancy
- Consultant, Mark Clancy Consulting
- E-Mail is a commodity service these days. We live and breathe by it in most organizations. The second most disruptive portion of a company merger to IS folks is the integration & migration of disparate systems in the sister companies. (As we know, the most disruptive is job turmoil). Complex messaging systems like Lotus Notes/Domino, Microsoft Exchange and ALL-IN-1 have many options for consolidation.
This session outlines strategies you can use and planning techniques to get the project done on time. One thing you will likely learn is that the “old” systems must share a single name space on the day of the merge. Business management wants this to solidify the new entity to its customers and employees.
We will discuss the Technical issues in merging the systems, directory services & gateways. We will look at how and when to use vendor tools like Microsoft’s Move server wizard and how to use standards based interfaces like LDAP. This session focuses mostly on MS-Exchange & ALL-IN-1, but will include some CC: Mail and Lotus Notes migration issues.
- Select the correct method & tools for consolidating their mail servers
- Understand the benefits of employing dedicated messaging directories
- Understand the crtical success factors in a merger and how to avoid common technical pitfalls
- Prerequisites for attendees:
- Understanding of mail system infrastructure
Currently manage or operate the e-mail system (or systems) for their company
- Required Skill Level:
For experienced professionals in application development & system management; those working on large & complex systems
|Return To Top|