San Diego '99
Backup Strategy for Complex Environments/Recovery
- Topic Area:
- Track: Enterprise Solutions
- Topic: Storage
- Type: Breakout Session
01:30 PM Duration:
- Abbott Schindler
- Senior Technical Consultant, Compaq Computer Corporation
- A backup solution consists of storage and networking hardware and the software applications that implement backup and restore. An enterprise backup solution encompasses heterogeneous operating system platforms including OpenVMS, DIGITAL UNIX, other UNIXes and Windows NT. This session describes a methodology for quantifying the environment so that all components of the backup solution,
as well as backup policies, can be specified.
Since the reason for backup is a business-driven need to restore data, the session presents approaches for restoring data within a variety of time and cost constraints. The session also includes a brief survey of backup application software with guidelines for choosing an appropriate application to satisfy business
- Understand the components of a comprehensive, enterprise-wide backup solution.
- Create and articulate a backup solution which satisfies their business needs.
- Understand how their internal IT structure can be used to specify a backup solution.
- Prerequisites for attendees:
- Required Skill Level:
Assumes general knowledge of topic, familiarity w/basic terms & procedures
|Return To Top|